All Gear should fit in one Cabela’s Super-cub duffel bag or waterproof Dry bag.
Licenses, Tags/Permits, & Rifles:
- Alaska Hunting License
- Big Game Locking-Tag(s), Registration Permit(s), Harvest Ticket(s), or Draw Permit(s), if applicable.
- Alaska Sport Fishing License (7-day or 14-day), if applicable.
- Rifle and Scope: The preferred calibers for Alaska vary a little by species, however the 7mm
- Rem.Mag., .300 Win. Mag., .338 Win. Mag., .375 H&H are most often carried. If you buy a new gun for this
- hunt, please sight it in and use it before the hunt.
- Two boxes of ammo (180 – 220 Gr triple shock); more if a custom caliber gun.
- Otis tactical gun cleaning kit and scope cleaning cloth, and ear plugs.
- Soft rifle case for air charter. Hard case for commercial airline travel.
- 1 small day pack, a back pack large enough to keep your rain gear and extra layers in.
- Sleeping bag – light, but warm and easily compacted. Get the best one you can afford. Usually synthetic filled
- bags provide the best warmth if they get wet, but it is hard to beat a good down bag; just keep it dry.
- Examples: Mountain Hardware Ultra Lamina 0 to 15 or Mont-Bell Ultra Long Super Stretch #0 is rated 0
- degrees (3 lbs.1 oz.).
- Tripod shooting/hiking sticks (2), Leiki.
- Headlamp and/or small flashlight with extra batteries (Petzl Myo XPD LED).
- Water-proof matches or windproof lighter or fire starter.
- Nalgene water bottles, (two 16 oz. or one 32 oz.). We have water purifiers in camp.
Optics and Cameras:
- High quality binoculars – Leica, Zeiss, or Swarovski (8 X 32,10 X 42, or 10 X 50).
- Camera with extra charged batteries and spare ScanDisk memory cards. (optional
- Spotting scope, optional.
- GPS, optional.
- A satellite phone for your personal use. Our SAT phones are for guides use only.
- Range finder, optional.
(Dress in layers, temperatures fluctuate):
- One set of travel clothes
- Lightweight insulating jacket. Prefer: KUIU Spindrift, Mtn. Hardware Compressor with hood.
- Lightweight wind stopper jacket. Recommend: KUIU guide jacket.
- Lightweight quality rain gear. Prefer: KUIU Chugach jacket and pant, Sitka, Helley Hansen with hood and
- Lightweight pants (2). Prefer: KUIU guide pant.
- Lightweight long sleeve shirts (2). Prefer: KUIU Merino 240.
- Mid-weight Long sleeve shirt. Prefer: KUIU Merino 240.
- Lightweight long john top. Prefer: KUIU Merino 185 or Smartwool.
- Lightweight long john bottom. Prefer: KUIU Merino 185 or Smartwool.
- Mid-weight long john bottom. Prefer: Smartwool.
- 3 pairs of underwear. Smartwool or Ice Breaker.
- Quality socks (wool socks and liners). Good brands: Thorlo light hiker, Darn Tough,Smartwool, and Simms.
- 2 hats – one ball cap and one polar fleece cap for cold weather (KUIU, Smartwool).
- Waterproof insulated outer shell warm gloves. Recommend: ATLAS gloves.
- Sunglasses/protective eyewear – good, high UV protection.
- Hip boots (ankle fit) or Waders: Cabela’s Tundra or LaCross have proven to be an excellent brand for hip boots. River Trekkers are good for crossing streams too. Waders: Simms, Cabela’s, & Orvis.
- Quality leather boots and gaiters or
- Slip-on rubber knee boots
- Camp shoes or crocks.
Personal Toiletry Kit:
- Razor, toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss.
- Nail clippers, tweezers, and Q-tips.
- Towel, washcloth, shampoo, bar of soap, and deodorant.
- Chap stick, skin lotion, and sun screen lotion.
- Personal medication – 15 day supply. *OVERPACK ON THIS ONE
- Glasses, contacts, and contact eye cleaner.
- Aspirin, Advil, or Tylenol (for the aches and pains).
- First aid: Neosporin Plus and a few band-aids; and moleskin (Dr. Scholls) for blisters on your feet.
- Head net/insect spray (DEET or equivalent).
- Pillow case (stuff clothing in case to make pillow).
- Parachute cord or nylon rope has many uses.
- Leatherman type tool.
- Reading material (2 books).
- Pack rod and reel.
- Bank checks, or cash.
Pack all hunting gear in non-frame duffel-type bags except rifle. These are hand carried on the air charter. Weight limit on super cub air charter is 50 lbs and rifle. You can take additional weight on larger aircraft. Hard rifle cases and suitcases can be stored at air charter for you to pickup upon return from lodge/base camp.
We have a satellite phone for emergencies and scheduling flights, but recommend that you bring your own for personal use. They may be purchased or rented.
Pre-Purchased Gear and License/Tags:
Hip boots, proper rain gear, packs, license, and tags may be prepurchased from me with two-month advance notice and payment. We can purchase other necessary items for you on request and will bill you accordingly.
Temperatures range from mid-30’s to low 60’s, strong winds, rain, and possible snow.
Clients furnish their own rifle & ammo, personal gear, and alcoholic beverages if desired. .
NOTE: These are the exact items most of our guides use and we highly recommend them as very good equipment All Gear should fit in one Cabela’s Super-cub duffel bag (SE-51-1903-273) or waterproof Dry bag. No hard suitcases, plus your gun case & carry on! No exceptions. More Packing List Questions? Contact us.